Minutes from Cape Town, miles from the world…. That’s the tagline of Steenberg Hotel & Golf Estate & I really couldn’t have put it better myself.
I first discovered Steenberg, the Cape’s oldest farm nestled in the Constantia valley a while ago when I was hunting for our wedding venue. While that didn’t work out at the time, I was quite enchanted with the place & knew I had to come back. It took me nearly 2 years, but hey you know how the saying goes. Better late…
We headed over to Catharina’s for dinner & were greeted by the most beautiful views…
Yup, it’s really pretty! One word comes to mind: lush.
As if being a gorgeous wine estate isn’t enough, Steenberg is a piece of perfection boasting endless views of False Bay, award-winning cuisine (via a choice of 2 restaurants), an 18-hole championship golf course, a luxurious spa and some of the most decadent luxury accommodation in Cape Town. This is a place where no corners are cut. Steenberg Hotel’s buildings, which date back to 1682, steeped in South African history have been lovingly restored and declared a National Monument.
- The amazing winelands setting & the Cape Dutch style houses – smack in the middle of the city!
- There is so much on offer all in one place – its unheard of. This is the definition, if there was one, of ‘spoilt for choice’!
Starters – mine was to-die-for (above): West coast mussels with coriander, chilli, coconut cream & lemon grass. I loved this twist on the usual mussels in white sauce & this was the best dish of the meal for me! The prawn salad (below) of smoked prawns tossed in coriander, basil shredded veggies & roasted peanuts also got the nod from my partner in crime.
- Polished, discerning service – Catharina’s isn’t your average restaurant
- If you should ever be so lucky to stay in their hotel, then Catharina’s menu of contemporary South African cuisine will be your room service menu – LOVE that!
Mains: prawn rigatoni (above, in a chilli, tomato & olive sauce) – I had mine minus the chorizo. The seafood plate (below) came with the works & everything was really, really fresh.
There was never any question about it. Dessert had to be the vanilla crème brulee (above – of the best I’ve had) while hubby opted for the cherry clafoutis (below) served with marscarpone.
If I ran the place
- I would move in & never leave (it’s a residential estate too!).
Need to know
- They’re open for breakfast, lunch & dinner. You definitely need to book!
- If you’re going for lunch be sure to ask for one of gorgeous the outside tables are – it’s like sitting in amongst the orchids.
- Arrive a little earlier than your reservation & have a drink – they have 2 beautiful bars off either side of the restaurant (we found out a little late)
Steenberg Hotel 10802 Steenberg Estate, Tokai Road, Constantia 7945 Cape Town South Africa
+27 21 713 2222