I was overwhelmed by your responses to a recent post, on how I have managed to cut down costs in day-to-day life. You guys shared some pretty cool tips too (thanks!) which I thought I would compile & share:
- Scour thrift shops especially for high ticket items like coats – sometimes all it needs is a good dry cleaning. And anyway, vintage is in! 🙂
- Rethink your exercise – a membership to a single health club (i.e. 1 branch for example, lets say the 1 closest to your home/work) is cheaper than a national one. Try running/walking outdoors and taking in enjoy some fresh air. Self help books/videos are an idea too.
- Avoid temptation (i.e. the mall) as far you can. Go only when you need something & not just to “browse”. (I used to do this a lot – complete waste of time too!).
- “In source”. Ok I made that up but do you really need your housekeeper, pool service, garden service, the doggy parlour? Split some chores up between the kids or try to stretch out the interval between these services.
- Buy in bulk where it makes sense e.g. non perishables. This is one I struggle with as our apartment is bit small…
- Get your satellite TV service switched off when you’re not home for long periods (check the reconnection fees 1st). Or switch to a cheaper bundle. Do you really watched all those channels?
- Check your medical insurance to ensure you’re on the right plan. This doesn’t always mean down trading to a cheaper plan but just one that suits your family’s specific needs. For example I never really get sick and if I do, it’s once a year max, so truth be told, I don’t need much more than hospital plan.
- Drive less. Go to your nearest mall vs. your favourite one. And plan your time so that you don’t make multiple trips in a week.
- Go factory shopping (if you must shop!). If you’re In Cape Town you’re in factory shopping Mecca! I know of some good ones in Jhb too. Instead of heading to the mall for that upcoming party, put on some flats and head to the factory shops. No one will believe that LBD was a bargain!
- Sparkling or still? Tap! This one is from me & I’d forgotten about it but it’s a personal gripe. Water! I’ve promised myself to never buy/order bottled water again especially not at a restaurant.
Thanks for sharing your tips, I’m inspired to be even more of a cheap skate 🙂
Have a great week!
PS if you missed my post on how to eat out super cheap (think buy 1 get 1 free you must check out this post)