I’d heard all the hype about Tangle Teezer and other “miracle” detangling devices for some time now, but with hair like mine I really was in no hurry to try it.
I met the owner a few weeks back at a Hair & Beauty expo and posed the question and he assured me it would work even on my hair. I noticed a Black model with hair like mine on one of their posters and I started warming up to the idea. Slowly. And then Leigh from Lipglossgirl gifted me one (thanks Leigh!) and I excitedly rushed back to my hotel to try it out that same night.
So I must first be clear that I used (and have only ever used) the Tangle Teezer on wet hair in the shower with loads of conditioner on it – TRESemme Naturals to be exact. I have not tried it on dry hair to date which is how (I think) most Caucasian hair would probably use it.
I went for the boring classic black Tangle Teezer form the Compact range. The colour is actually called rock star black – they all have quirky names! 🙂
- Once my hair air dried, THE TANGLE TEEZER GAVE ME AMAZING curls! I wasn’t expecting this at all. When my husband saw me later that day my curls were so tight, bouncy & defined he actually asked me if I had a haircut (it was that curly). This is the number 1, 2 & 3 reason I will keep using the Tangle Teezer.
- Did I mention that THE TANGLE TEEZER GAVE ME AMAZING curls?! (I really should have taken a pic for you guys, sorry!)
- Minimal breakage/shedding (judging from the hair left in the Tangle Teezer) – it was about the same as what I’d have with a wide toothed comb..
- The size is cute and makes it easy to travel with or take along to gym etc.
- I found the Tangle Teezer a bit difficult to manage when wet – it flew out of my hand and across the bathroom twice. However I see they are a step ahead of me and have launched a range specifically for wet use.
The Original Pink Fizz
Aqua Splash Blue Lagoon
Compact Styler Feline Groovy
Having seen the full collection, I think I should probably have gone for the original or the salon styler – I definitely could have done with a bigger surface area. I have A LOT of hair.
If I ran the brand
- I think they need to be for sale in more accessible places like Clicks etc. So far I have seen them online (local SA sites) and premium hairdressers.
Need to know
- If you have hair like mine (thick, surprisingly long when wet & lots of it) consider detangling your hair with the Tangle Teezer in 4 sections (I haven’t done this in my entire life, I’m that lazy)
- I’m not 100% sure if they are all available in SA but there is wide selection across 6 different collections and beautiful and quirky designs – there really is something for everyone! Oh & they also have a kiddies range – it’s bright & cute…
Even though I chose the wrong one from the range, the Tangle Teezer turned out to be a good surprise…
Be kind to your hair!
Update: I’ve since reviewed the Aqua Splash Tangle Teezer, you can check out the review here.