Last year I got to try Dr Gobac’s Cosmoceuticals range and gave it a thumbs up bar one thing – I felt like they were missing an exfoliator (I was just so used to one in my own regime). So when the PR got in touch saying they’d just launched one it felt nothing short of Dr Gobac himself reading my mind! Hey I did get to meet him last year, it is possible 🙂
Now I can’t get into this review without mentioning I’m a huge fan of exfoliators – and have been using them weekly or every second week (I do get lazy) for many years. I love, love, love body exfoliators too (so underrated!) but I’ll park that for another time. I just love that smooth, rosy cheeks look that exfoliating my face leaves me with – usually inspires me to go make up free for the day (& I do!).
The thing about the exfoliators I’ve used in the past is that they’ve all been granular i.e. abrasive. You know the ones I’m referring to – thick and pasty and you can actually feel the granules in the formula with your fingers when you apply it. So it turns out this is really old school and that masques have evolved so to be more chemically activated. This was confirmed again 2/3 weeks ago by a therapist who did the most deluxe QMS facial for me (again, more in another post)…
Ok so how does it actually work then? I usually apply Dr Gobac’s Exfoliating Masque in the shower, just after I get in. I’ll wash my face to remove make up etc. and then apply a thin layer all over, rubbing the last bit left on my hands onto my neck (waste not, want not!). It stays on for 10-15 minutes I rinse with lukewarm water just before I get out of the shower. The papain (papaya) enzyme effectively dissolves the dead layers of the skin giving way to smoother/newer skin underneath.
- It’s packed with really natural (read good for you!) ingredients:
– Vitamin E acetate (think of it as “skin food” – it improves elasticity & protective antioxidant)
– Retinyl Palmitate (a form of Vitamin A – we all need that!)
– Palmitic Acid (a component of palm oil)
- It’s super gentle and goes on silky – there’s no work i.e. scrubbing to do. Once it’s on you forget its there until you need to rinse
- You won’t have that dry, tightness of an abrasive masque where you’re left feeling like you need to slap on moisturiser asap to soothe your skin
- Sorry I’ve wracked my brain, not coming up with anything not to like…
Of course after a few uses I now look at my own granular exfoliators with a lot less love. Ditto for all my favourite body scrubs…
If I ran the brand
Dr Gobac is starting to make waves in magazines & online – I’d be shouting about it more…
Need to know
- It’s a very thin/runny formula (again, I was just used the my thick predecessor) so just be aware when you open the tube that you don’t end up wasting product on the floor etc. *weep*
- The range is available from selected spas, salons, Placecol outlets and Edgars stores and retails for R425.00
I am liking how this is leaving my skin and I’m using it ever so sparingly since I just passed the halfway mark!