If you don’t know Ruutos by now I have very few words for you. From once humble beginnings, they say they’re now the largest online hair store in Africa (shop them here). Ruutos has been in the hair game for longer all the other local online stores I know. They do have a physical store & salon too (Ferndale in Randburg) and its been on my agenda to check it out for y-e-a-r-s & somehow I just don’t get around to it.
I’d seen online recently that in addition to stocking ranges like the coveted JBCO they also started stocking their own house brand of products & I was most curios when they sent me the line up try out.
What you need to know about the Ruutos Moisture Range (else I’ll just be repeating myself as I talk though the products) is that they are all free of:
4. mineral oil
5. phthalates free (phthalates was a new one for me – read more here)
6. and are not tested on animals
That makes 6 reasons we’re off to a great start! What they have put in is lots of natural ingredients. Here’s what I thought…
Ruutos Moisture Nourishing Shampoo – R130 (250ml)
- despite being sulphate free it still suds up very well so if you like seeing foam/bubbles you won’t be disappointed
- its packed with great ingredients: argan oil, castor oil & ProVitamin B5, wheat bran extract, peppermint oil & lavender oil. You can see the full list of ingredients here.
- it’s really concentrated – I used about a tablespoon full (this is a good sign of a professional product) & it was enough to get my whole head clean
- my hair felt sufficiently clean but not at all stripped/dry
- nothing to not like here!
Ruutos Moisture Replenishing Conditioner – R120 (250ml)
- this is a step up from a regular conditioner (& hence recommended for weekly use). I wouldn’t recommend this for co washing – it’s honestly too good!
- you need to know this: I finished the bottle & for me being sent so much stuff all the time plus my product junkie tendencies, that doesn’t happen often!
- there’s more fab (i.e. natural) ingredients to look forward to: glycerine, coconut oil, shea butter, macadamia nut oil, avocado oil, black castor oil, mango seed butter & more…
- the formulation is also silicone free (bonus!)
- you’ll manage just fine but the consistency is a bit thick (I tossed the nozzle for easier dispensing) & doesn’t have the best slip (might be because of it being silicone free?). I would usually towel dry before I section & apply conditioner but this time I’d leave a little more water in my hair for more slip
Tip: they do recommend on the bottle that you leave this on for 10-20 minutes & sit with a cap on your hair under some heat for deep conditioning. I recommend up to 30 minutes if you have the time (even without heat – it’s so worth it!). If you have a steamer, it’s a must with this product. I steamed for just 20 minutes & my hair was super soft!
Ruutos Moisture Restorative Hair Mask R150 (175ml)
- put simply this is an even more intense version of the conditioner reviewed above – imagine that!
- yup, I finished this tub as well!
- a closer look at the ingredients showed that it’s quite similar to that of the conditioner as well but with a few (good) extras: meadowfoam seed oil, soybean oil & jasmine extract (I am loving all things jasmine at the moment!)
- I liked the tub (vs. the bottles). I made for easy access & I could dig right in!
just so you know, I thought that the slip on the mask was better than on the conditioner. I used this mask with & without steam (I don’t have a hood hair dryer) & while both delivered good results, the steamer just adds some magic. Even if it means sitting in your gym’s steam room for a bit, its worth it!
Overall I’m pleasantly surprised by this line up & recommend it. The packaging isn’t fancy & the smell is pleasant (not overpowering) but it delivers on what it sets out to. The entire range is also colour safe (I’ve been thinking about colouring lately – crazy I know!). They also have a leave-in conditioner & hair growth elixir in the range you can check out. And while you’re at it, fellow hair guru Kavuli adored their Scalp Magic Hair Kit.
I hope Ruutos will extend the range later on with bigger sized bottles on the conditioner & mask – these are my favourites of the range!
Be kind to your hair!