It’s been a little while since I attended the Keratase Densifique launch at Morrrels. It was my first Kerastase launch & I remember my excitement because I’d been pretty dedicated to Kerastase through my relaxed years even when I could hardly afford it as a student, it was a
must need to have for me. PS I loved the range in the orange bottles I think it was the ole/nutritive range…
The launch was for Densifique & as you’ve rightly inferred from the name, it’s all about improving your hair’s density . If you didn’t know, hair grows in cycles with a % of all follicles being dormant at any particular point in time. That’s why, just as an example, when you go for laser hair removal, you need to go for a few sessions spread out over months so you can “catch” & zap/laser all follicles while they’re active & stop them regrowing new hair.
How does Kerastase Densifique work?
Long story short, all products in the range contain stemoxydine which is a “state-of-the-art densifying molecule that stimulate/reactivates the follicles to grow new hair & so leading to more hair/increased density”.
So whats in the range?
- Kerastase Densifique Bain Densite (shampoo) 250ml shampoo R255
- Kerastase Densifique Masque Densite (treatment) 200ml treatment R405
- Kerastase Densifique Activateur De Densite Capillaire Hair Density Program 30 x 6ml (i.e. 30 day supply of ampoules) R1500
- ampoules are non greasy. After application & massaging it in & once it dries, you pretty much won’t know it’s there (except that your hair smells fab)
- I delayed starting to use the Kerastase Densifique system initially thinking it would be too much work. In fact, the ampoules are super easy to use – snap the cap off, pop on the nozzle, part hair & apply.
- there’s only really one other product on the market that I know of & would use that also works to stimulate growth but the limitation with that product is that you’re advised that (shampoo & conditioner/masque aside) you’re not meant to use anything else on your hair and that’s tough for me. With Densifique’s focus on the scalp specifically I could still use my spritz’s & styling products as normal which I really liked.
- I didn’t need to wash my hair everyday to apply an ampule. Damp or even dry hair is fine.
- while it looked promising, the deep treatment doesn’t do much for my hair itself in terms of conditioning (protein or moisture) so perhaps alternative this masque with what you’d normally use if you hair like mine, needs something a little more.
I enjoyed using Densifique for the month but cannot comment fairly on its efficacy (in terms of increasing hair density) as you (quite fairly) need a minimum of 3 consecutive months use to see a result. I got used to the ampoule application very quickly & could soon do it without a mirror, just sectioning my hair & applying/massaging in while I was watching TV after the first few applications. What I did notice was my hair feeling & appearing thicker but I soon realised its true as the masque contains hyaluronic acid (yup, just like in skin care) “which plumps up the hair fibre for a fuller and thicker appearance with added bounce”.
We saw some before & after pics (under a microscope) of a customer who’d been on it for weeks & the difference was definitely noticeable. I do think its worth a go if you’re looking for more hair or thicker/fuller hair and will work on all hair types. In particular the Kerastase team pointed out that it would be great for receding hair lines that many Black women are looking for a solution to.
Would I give this a go for the recommended 3 months? Most definitely!
Kerestase Densifique is available at all salons that stock Kerastase or otherwise online here.
Be kind to your hair!