Last week I shared that I swapped out my skin care for Kiehl’s last month (& half of the previous month really). I’ve split my reviews over 2 posts so if you missed part 1 looking at the cleansers, start over here.
Overall no major complaints on any of these products and my skin took to them easily without any adverse reaction. If anything my skin has calmed down – a combination of stopping my old alcohol toner, better exfoliation & improved moisture delivery from this lot…
So on with part 2. I combined the calendula range of cleansers with the following moisturisers (left to right & pricing to follow):
- Hydro Plumping Re-Texturizing Serum Concentrate 50ml – R625
- Super Multi Corrective Cream 50ml – R745
- Multi Corrective Eye Opening Serum – price & products not available yet (TBC)
- Ultra Light Daily UV Defense 30ml – not available in SA
PS the packaging pictured here for the Hydro Plumping Re-Texturizing Serum Concentrate & the Multi Corrective Eye Opening Serum isn’t the final packaging, but the “test/sample” packaging since the products had just landed it SA at the time.
I’m not going to review the Ultra Light Daily UV Defense here but it’s part of what I used for the month so I wanted to include it. I could’nt not have an SPF so I swiped this one from the hubby. I think we bought it in Dubai/Portugal, not sure…
Ok let’s get on with it…
Hydro Plumping Re-Texturizing Serum Concentrate
Though its something I have done before I was worried about wearing 2 (sometimes 3) layers of creams especially since I have on oily T zone but turns out it didn’t matter. Overall this regime didn’t really help my T zone but it didn’t make it any worse either. After cleansing (day & night) I started out with the Hydro Plumping Re-Texturizing Serum Concentrate. It has no smell & the appearance reminded me of what Vaseline (though it couldn’t be further from that!).
- Moisture! Since I used both simultaneously I can’t pin point if it’s due to this product or the next one (the Hydro Plumping Re-Texturizing Serum Concentrate) (or a combo of both) but my skin felt very well hydrated
- It pretty much melts/disappears into the skin as soon as its applied and goes on smooth (thanks to some silicones) & matte
- The key ingredient: 15% plant-based glycerine (palm fruit, rapeseed and coconut). According to Kiehl’s it “works as a moisture magnet and pulls essential moisture into skin & creates a “reservoir effect”
- Still on ingredients, there’s also mention of Shiso Leaf Extract (though in small quantities), grown & consumed in China & Japan. I couldn’t find much info on it online besides it being a “skin conditioning agent:.
- If pressed I’d say I wished the pump head would dispense a bit more at a time. I used 2 shots to spread across my entire face & neck.
Super Multi Corrective Cream 50ml
This is an anti ageing cream and I can’t honestly speak the claims of lifting, firming – I didn’t have those concerns coming in…
- Ditto the moisture mentioned above – I felt like this locked down the serum & packed a pretty good punch itself too.
- Hyaluronic acid (long story short because of its structure aids your skin to improve its own hydration over time) is a key ingredient here
- Kiehl’s points out that it’s paraben free, fragrance free & safe for sensitive skins
Multi Corrective Eye Opening Serum
I have panda eyes and I’ve pretty much accepted this as a part of my life, wondering if its genetic (I need to blame someone ok!?). They are from the same stable so it makes sense that there was some cross over in terms of ingredients between this eye cream & the Hydro Plumping Re-Texturizing Serum Concentrate. Application is quite important here (actually it generally is with eye creams) so I really made a conscious effort to take my time to pat it on (morning & evening) from the inner corner, both above and below the eye.
- So here’s something that’s never happened before: the Multi Corrective Eye Opening Serum without a doubt has lightened my dark circles somewhere between half a shade and a shade in the 6 weeks of use. Even If nothing else came of this trial, this is a really big deal for me!
- It’s paraben-free, mineral-oil-free, fragrance-free, colorant-free and suitable for sensitive eyes (as a contact lens wearer this is important)
- It also contains a form of hyaluronic acid mention above botanical extracts (for protein synthesis) & skin illuminating minerals (light reflectors help improve skin luminosity, minimizes the appearance of wrinkles & diminishes under-eye darkness says Kiehls and the latter I found very true)
- quite the opposite problem of the Hydro Plumping Re-Texturizing Serum Concentrate, 1 pump dispensed way too much for me & I hated wasting so I learned to sort of carefully pump the head half way down only to get the right amount.
I enjoyed dedicating my skin to Kiehl’s for the month – I definitely wouldn’t do it with just any brand. For me the wins were improved hydration & the start of the lightening of my under eye circles (its a biggie!). It wasn’t all easy especially at the beginning as I was trying to get into the regime. I was tempted at times to reach for my “regular” potions but I’m glad I gave Kiehl’s a solid chance.
Have a super weekend!