So L’Oreal Elvive was another new one for me. The Extraordinary Oil range came out in February with 5 products:
- 2 different shampoos (both in 2 sizes)
- 1 conditioner (also in 2 sizes)
- a treatment masque
- 2 oils
These are split into two ranges:
The ranges’s claim to fame is what they call an “alchemy of 6 precious oils” extracted from flowers:
- tiara (this was a new one for me & Google didn’t help much)
The inclusion of the natural oils seemed really promising & right up my alley. In fact when I looked at the ingredients closer there were even more oils than above listed such as coconuts oil (yes!!!) & castor oil.
The packaging (i.e. all the orange) also really reminded me of the Kerastase Nutritive range I used to use when my hair was relaxed (& loved).
I got sent the following to try from the dry range:
- Elvive Extraordinary Oil Shampoo Dry Hair 250ml (R47.95)
- Elvive Extraordinary Oil Conditioner Dry Hair 250ml (R47.95)
- Elvive Extraordinary Oil Mask Balm Dry Hair 300ml (R79.95)
I shampooed using the range twice: once following up with the Conditioner (for dry hair) & then with the Mask Balm (also for dry hair) & air dried both times.
Also in the range, but not part of this review are the actual oils which are definitely the hero products (so much so that both Clicks that I tried before I wrote this were sold out!). The “extra riche” version has built in heat protection of up to 230′ – very nice!
- It’s smells great. I mean does L’Oreal even make anything that smells bad?
- The shampoo, for one that isn’t sulphate free actually didn’t dry my hair out
- the conditioner lacked slip – you can add a bit of water (or leave a little more water in your hair after shampooing before applying) especially if you’re going to detangle
- my hair just wasn’t left feeling moisturized
I’ve said it time & again on my blog that my hair is t-h-i-r-s-t-y & the range just didn’t cut it for my fro. Maybe I should have used the “very dry” range? Maybe I should have followed up with the oil to finish things up as directed on the packaging. Not sure. But if you’ve got moderately dry hair that’s not as curly as mine this could be for you!
Be kind to your hair!
PS since I drafted this post I discovered that the mask balm/treatment has mineral oil. No idea how I missed that. Sadness.