I promised to share the products I brought along to our 19th March Inaugrual Feminist Stokvel Hair Soiree last week already (sorry!). It’s been some work to compile but here you go…
This is just what I brought along & doesn’t of course include what the other 7 ladies brought but there is enough here to get you started. These are all products that are well formulated (sulphate/mineral oil/petroleum free) which I have personally tried, that work for me & I can recommend with a clear conscience.
The was to bust the “white” vs. “black” products myth & show you just a fraction of what’s out there than can potentially work for you. This is probably less than 10% of my own stash (I’m spoilt like that!) so just know that this list is by no means exhaustive.
We decided to limit the list to accessible products in a reasonable-ish price range. Please remember that there are no miracle products (sorry!) and that hair handling makes up at least half your hair’s health! I’ve also separated out moisture vs. protein when it comes to conditioners & deep treatments as I get that question often.
Hope this helps!
Shampoos (sulphate free)
- Style Innovation Reflections Gentle Care Shampoo – 400ml – R59,99 – Dischem (Dischem exclusive brand)
- Design Essentials Natural Curl Cleanser – 237ml – R179.44 – online from Niche Hair Care (read my review here)
3. TRESemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner – 750ml – R59.99 (read my review here)
4. Aussie Miracle Moist Conditioner – 250ml – R59.99/R74.99 – Dischem/Clicks
5. Ruutos Moisture Replenishing Conditioner – 250ml – R144 – online or in store at Ruutos (read my review here)*
6. Organic Root Stimulator (ORS) Replenishing Conditioner – 1 litre
PS this isn’t a retail size. They do a 49g travel pack/sachet for R12.99/R17.99 & then a full size (250ml I think – not sure on price on the latter but it’s at Dischem/Clicks)
7. Mizani True Textures Curl Replenish – 226.8g +- R170 – selected salons
8. ORS Olive Oil Hair Masque – 311g +- R59.99 – Clicks/Dischem*
9. The Body Shop Rainforest Moisture Hair Butter – 200ml – R120 – The Body Shop (PS. don’t be confused by the name like I was at 1st – this is a rinse out)
10. Ruutos Moisture Restorative Hair Mask – 175ml – R180 – online or in store at Ruutos (read my review here)*
11. ORS Hair Mayonnaise – 237 ml +- R59.99 – Clicks/Dischem
12. Lush Jasmine & Henna Fluff Eaze -220g – R255g online or at their Cape Town (V&A/Cavendish) or Durban (Gateway) stores. PS Jhb is opening June 2015 at Dainfern Mall (read my review here)*
13. Mizani Fiberfyl – 57g – R181,26 – selected salons. This is a primer (my 1st when it comes to hair!) with a protein focus. Also available as an in salon treatment – I’m dying to try it!
14. Argan Oil – 250ml – Pick n Pay (honestly cannot remember the price)
15. Olive Oil – 200ml – Pick n Pay (ditto re the price but I really liked this leak proof bottle/nozzle for travelling/gym etc.)
16. The Body Shop Monoi Miracle Oil – 150 ml – (works on skin as well as hair!) I can’t find it on their site – might be discontinued? I’ll investigate & update so check back…
17. Nubian Nature Mango Citrus Whipped Crème 250 ml – R100 online via Nubian Nature (this product has since been reformulated)
18. T444Z – 150g ml – R380 online or via their agents
19. ORS Hair Repair Anti Breakage Crème – 141g +- R49.99 – Clicks/Dischem (great for LOC method as your “crème”). PS I have their Intense Moisture pictured here by mistake (which actually contains petroleum) but its very similar packaging, just reads “Anti Breakage Crème” on the front.
PS items marked with an asterisk (*) I think straddle both protein & moisture for me (which makes sense as protein/moisture balance is important) but I have “forced” them under 1 category under which I think they deliver primarily (its 3am – hope this makes sense!).
Happy shopping & be kind to your hair!
PS the next Hair Soiree is around the corner – Saturday 18th April from 12-2pm at Bean Republic in Melrose. You can book via firstname.lastname@example.org. Oh at the topic is Hairlineology! 🙂