Not going to lie you guys. When Shimansky got in touch I was already going “oooooh” in my head as soon as I saw their name in my inbox.
Something you probably didn’t know about me – I don’t do costume jewellery. At all. It’s not even something that changed as I got older. I’ve always been that way. And so as you can imagine, my collection is quite slim. Besides my wedding rings (which I adore!), I have 3 pairs of earrings (1 pair was my dowry & another I bought to wear on my wedding day), 2 of pearl necklaces & 1 watch. That’s it. Boring, I know, but I love it & personally my overall style has always been erred on the side of classic/timeless investment pieces vs. high fashion & I don’t see that changing.
So I popped into the Shimansky store in Sandton (they’re on the “bridge” between Nelson Mandela Square & Sandton City a little giddy & ready to play for some of their beautiful pieces for an hour. Can you imagine!?
So first off I learned a little about what makes Shimansky different:
- Yair Shimansky (the owner/founder) started selling craft jewellery at a Durban beachfront market (how crazy!?) & that led to the 1st store opening in The Pavillion in 1994.
- Shimanky is the only SA retailer with a license to buy rough diamonds directly from mines & so Yair hand picks & personally buys every stone you see in store.
- He pioneered the use of platinum in SA in the 90’s (did you know 80% of the platinum in the world comes from SA!?), which led to his nickname “the Platinum King”.
- They have over a dozen unique patented designs some of which are iconic and synonymous with the brand such as The Millennium, My Girl & Evolym Collections.
- Almost all of the stones (except of course things like tanzanite & black diamonds) and metals you find at Shimansky come from South Africa
- This is a South African business with over 100 employees & I love that they don’t aspire to have stores around the world but rather want to make South Africa & South African diamonds a destination
- When you buy a diamond or tanzanite from Shimansky, you get an internal lifetime warranty which includes complimentary cleaning of your jewellery every 6 months to 1 year (I so need this – I haven’t done mine in um, ever!)
Ok my top picks (its so hard to choose!):
- Dancing Diamond Wishbone Pendant (.15ct set in 18K White/Rose/Yellow Gold) R8995
I had the pleasure of holding this piece in my hand. It really looks to the naked eye as if the stone is suspended in air – such a Shimansky classic! Of course it gets it’s name from the fact that it moves with every movement of your body. I want it in the white gold & the rose gold is growing on me too. It’s really something different.
Price includes a free silver chain.
2. Solitaire Tanzanite Pendant (.5ct set in 18K White Gold) R2495
I already have the studded earrings so this was an easy choice – I want the pendant chain to match! I had no idea that tanzanite is 1000 times more rare than a diamond (& it makes me want it more!)
Price includes a free silver chain.
3. Solitaire Tanzanite Ring (1ct set in 18K White Gold) R8995
Solitaire rings have my heart – there’s so much elegance in its simplicity. My wedding ring is a solitaire too. That coupled with the fact that tanzanite is the only other stone I care for. I’ve always wanted a dress ring & this would be it. If the budget allows one day, I’d love to look at bigger stone too…
4. Microset Diamond Bands (.13ct in total set in White/Rose/Yellow Gold) R7995
A weird one because this is the exact style of my wedding band! Worn on its own, I think this makes a elegant dress ring (believe it or not there are rare days and occasions I don’t actually feel like wearing my engagement ring). So yup, I’d love another one & it has to be in rose gold.
5. My Girl Diamond Tennis Bracelet (4-11ct set in 18K White Gold)
This is one of things I can only hope for my my lifetime but I’d be lying if I didn’t include it here. These are created on order based in your specifications (hence theres no set price per se) with hand selected My Girl diamonds. I’ll keep saving/dreaming. Once day is one day!
You can feast your eyes & heart over their Christmas catalogue (prepare to want everything!)
(PS someone kindly forward this post to my husband – I may not celebrate Christmas but it is my birthday next month!)
Happy holidays you guys!
PS sidenote – I doused myself in the Shimansky My Girl fragrance for inspiration when I started writing this post & I didn’t expect to be moved by it but I really like – if you enjoy sweet fragrances, I think you’ll like too!