It’s been a while since I shared a review so here’s a goodie! I attended the L’Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil Curl Nourishment launch just last week and firstly lemme just say it was a helluva party that left me feeling like I was basking in #BlackGirlMagic for daaaaays after…
Later that day I was meant to install a protective style but long story short I ran out of time and that worked out beautifully because I got to try the range on my fro the next day.
Let me say upfront I was skeptical when I saw ‘Elvive’ and ‘curls’ in the same sentence – I felt like the only person on the planet whose hair didn’t love their Extraordinary Oil range so much and while this looks somewhat similar in packaging it really isn’t. At. All.
The undoubted hero of this range is their ‘Low Shampoo’ described as a gentle cleansing cream with no foam. Guys, guys, guys. Stop what you’re doing and take this in. Y’all know I don’t say this lightly but this ‘low shampoo’ is the everything. Every. Damn. Thing. Basically its low sulphates, but acts like no sulphates.
I wasn’t planning to, but as I was doing this washday I felt like I really wanted to show you what my fro looked like at each stage using the 3 products (low shampoo (R99), deep conditioner (R89) and leave-in (R89)).
This is after rinsing off the low shampoo (& before applying the DC). I was super impressed with how moisturised and defined my curls were already
With the DC applied. I put a shower cap and doek on this for about an hour…
With the leave-in applied, air drying. Yes I’m in my PJ’s 🙂 It’s a damn shame to have to take fresh curls to bed but such is life!
- It pretty much acts like a co wash, doesn’t soap up at all and is soooo creamy.
- there’s mega slip and aids detangling like a dream (I never detangle with shampoo, always with conditioner/a DC on only).
- I definitely found my hair loss from detangling to be less than usual… After applying and detangling (I used a wide tootheed combed, I piled my hair on top or my head loosely left it on for about 5 minutes (they recommend 3 mins) and then rinsed.
- If you get nothing else from this range, get this low shampoo. Trust me.
Overall, the range just “gets us” for several reasons:
- The cowash is a generous 400ml pump head bottle
- The inclusion of Alma oil (did you know ‘alma’ is sanskrit for ‘nurse’? – kinda fitting) and..
- 6 precious oils (lotus, chamomile, tiare (this one is new to me), sunflower, rose and flax
- Having a leave-in conditioner in the lineup (why is this so rare?!)
- the conditioner and leave in have mineral oil – thats not to say they don’t work but i do wonder if they’d be more moisturising without it…
I obviously couldn’t wait to wear fro out the next day…
PS in addition to the 3 products I tried there’s also a (regular/sulphate) shampoo R69 and a conditioner R69 and the range will be available at all major retailers.
In the words of Nomzamo Mbatha, the ambassador for the range (can we just take a minute to talk about how refreshing it is to have a 4C girl r-e-p-r-e-s-e-nt!!!) ‘you don’t go natural, you return to it’.
Be kind to your hair!