You would have to be living under a (large) rock to not know that Shea Moisture (SM) launched in SA. Before that we all had to scrounge to get our hands on their products here & there – it was a tough life!
For a long time their Raw Shea butter range was my fav, but with access to more products locally, their Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) range has taken over that spot. I’ve tried the masque, leave-in & styling lotion so far and I pretty much have been repurchasing it since then… The range also has a shampoo and twisting cream but I haven’t gotten to those as yet!
It’s protein focused, describing itself for “natural, chemically processed, colour treated or heat styled hair” to “nourish, rebuild, grow” your hair & scalp. Its hard to describe the smell, its not “pretty” like a lot of products (usually achieved with artificial perfumes) but more earthy, natural & almost slightly medicinal. The range has become my go-to when I need my fro to look its b-e-s-t for an event, date night etc – its really just fail proof.
- its one of a very few ranges that has a great protein and moisture balance in one product – no need to double deep condition (DC) so this is great especially if like me, you’ve done colour.
- on the topic of colour its also colour safe so won’t fade my colour either
- ingredients include shea butter, JBCO, coconut oil, avocado oil, mango seed butter, olive oil, castor oil & peppermint oil (I could go on…) so its very nutrient dense
- like the entire Shea Moisture range, these are free of all the usual bad stuff: paragons, sulphates, phthalates, mineral oil & its cruelty free.
- I do wish it was a little easier on the pocket but to be fair when I was in the UK, its sold for about the same price there as in SA (once you convert) – import taxes/duties are just unavoidable.
If I have to choose my favs in the SM JBCO range (so far) it’d be a tough choice between the masque and leave-in. The masque is thick & rich – make sure your hair is nice & wet when applying for slip & ease of detangling. I usually leave mine on overnight but 5-10 mins will do just fine. When I (cold) rinse, my hair feels incredibly s-o-f-t. The leave in feels luxe and for me is enough on its own ito styling – also applied to very wet air. My curls pop & its nourished but not heavy.
From the feedback I’ve heard on the streets, this range works well on type 4 hair as well which is so needed in SA.
Shea Moisture is available at selected Clicks & Dischem stores & you can also buy online in case there isn’t a store close to you. Theres also some body care products in the local range – tell you as soon as I’ve tried them!
Be kind to your hair!