I’m always very excited to find new food spots & doubly so when they’re in my neighbourhood (Jozi CBD), so imagine my excitement when I stumbled across Gold Mine Cafe right in our street! They opened in September this year & we had noticed the renovations & bright lights these last few weeks but it was finally time to check it out.
Gold Mine Cafe is actually part (& attached to) the Reef Hotel, a 4* hotel & conference venue in the heart of Jozi.
Everything from the decor to the staff uniforms are on theme
- That it’s in town, my ‘hood & walking distance from our apartment!
There’s a good variety on offer & its all well priced.
If you’re in a hurry there are also ready-made meals available to grab on the go.
- The business hours – they’re open till 10pm 7 days a week!
- The decor & the underground/mining theme, really different.
- The food is very affordable (should have sounded my alarm bells!)
- Unfortunately, the food. The Hawaiian chicken burger I ordered was not good. It was a filleted breast, but there wasn’t much of it and there was something amiss with the sauce on the burger too.
- The chips tasted like the oil had been recycled one too many times.
If I ran the place
- I’d up the quality of food significantly. If the price needs to go up with that, that’s ok.
Need to know
- Secure parking is available if the restaurant is to be used for year-end functions or events.
We left after settling the measly bill of around R52 (1 shared burger & chips + 2 sodas) and while it was great value, my hubby put it well when he said we’d have gotten more satisfaction from a McDonald’s meal for the same money.
I was so excited to stumble on Gold Mine Cafe & wish I had a better story to tell of my experience. That said, it could be a bit harsh to judge them off just one meal, so maybe I’ll be back for another try although it won’t be anytime soon :/
Gold Mine Cafe
58 Anderson Street, Marshalltown
Johannesburg, South Africa
+27 (0) 11 689 1000