I first heard about Cafe 1145 on Twitter from Voila Magazine when they tweeted that this was the spot where they got they daily caffeine fix. Now we all know that ‘creatives’ are coffee snobs & well, so is my hubby & I knew I had to take him along to check it out.
Cafe 1145 didn’t disappoint back then & last week I was just driving by running some errands & minding my own business when they caught my eye & I decided I should sit down to a proper breakfast (All Bran doesn’t count, ok!)…
There’s a quaint, homeliness about the place & there’s plenty of seating (including on the sidewalk if you prefer) – no queues, promise!
- They serve breakfast all day. As far as I’m concerned this should be legislated!
- My no.1 meal of choice for breakfast (& so hard to find!) is on the menu – sweetcorn fritters! You need to know that not all sweetcorn fritters were created equal. Theirs are generous & plump!
- The coffee is excellent. It’s Bean There which means its fair trade, single origin & all that good stuff.
The sweetcorn fritters in question. Topped with grilled halloumi (or bacon if you prefer) & a side of rocket & grilled baby tomatoes. Go hungry!
There’s also a selection fresh of homemade goodies (baked on-site) to take home.
- The service has been on point on every visit in the few times that I’ve been.
- On 2 of the 3 occasions I’ve ever visited, the owner Lynne (she took over just more than a year ago) has been in-store. I love that she’s so hands-on.
They recently got a frozen yogurt machine & you can choose between plain, mixed berries or mango with toppings choices of chocolate nibs or mini marshmallows. Very neat idea!
If I ran the place
I’d stuff myself with sweetcorn fritters all day!
Need to know
- Their French toast has been voted the best in Joburg. I must try it once I stop bingeing on the sweetcorn fritters.
- Cafe 1145 is in a rather interesting location, somewhere between Randburg & Hyde Park.
- There’s plenty of safe off-street parking & they’re open 7 days a week.
It’s easy to see why they won gold in the ROCCI awards in the restaurant category recently. They’re planning a relaunch soon which I was surprised to hear only because I think the cafe already looks great. I am very keen to see what it will look like after though!
101 Conrad Drive, Blairgowrie cnr Hillcrest Road, just off Jan Smuts Avenue
011 326 3339 or 084 401 7454