On a surprise trip to Cape Town recently & to celebrate our 1 year anniversary we decided to do it where we got married – back at The Hilton Hotel Cape Town.
Now I have to say I wasn’t initially ecstatic about this as my wedding venue. Even though it’s a 5* hotel, I perceived it to be too ‘businessy’ but that was probably based on my experience of it’s sister hotels around the country that I’d been to for work. I was definitely wrong on that count…
We’ve popped into the The Hilton Hotel Cape Town plenty over our the last year whenever we were in Cape Town as it’s one of our favourite places to have drinks (they do great mocktails!), but our wedding aside, this was the 1st time we were staying with them since…
You could wake up to a worse view…
Space is the ultimate luxury.
Our suite on the top floor of the hotel was bigger than my 1st apartment. I kid you not. It had a separate lounge, dining room, his & hers double basins, free-standing bath, walk-in shower & a second (guest) bathroom. Bliss!
I will say that I missed the Crabtree & Evelyn La Source amenities I had on my last visit but as a beauty junkie I’m always keen to try new things.
- That the food is halaal – no small feat, even in Cape Town
- Our suite was very spacious – this in itself is a luxurious touch that I love
- The view. O.M.G.
Bar a steak that arrived well-done (instead of medium), all the food we had was really good.
The hotel offers a variety of restaurants & types of food – you will not be left hungry! I was really impressed when we called room service one night and ordered something that wasn’t standard on the menu (a savoury snack platter). They handled it with absolute ease & our midnight cravings were cured.
If I have to choose, top of my list is the giant prawn risotto. Meaty prawns that de-shelled in a second on a bed of perfectly cooked, creamy risotto. I’m salivating now just thinking about it. It’s inexplicable. I also really liked the idea of this dessert tasting platter – a little bit of everything, perfect for the indecisive.
Beautiful touches – they remembered it was our anniversary & that we’d got married at the hotel so they surprised us with some treats when we got back to the room one evening 🙂 And their spin on the normal turn-down is to-die-for (I stole hubby’s Lindor every night!)…
We had a private dinner on one of the evenings – I loved this. Imagine… just me, hubby & our dedicated waiter.
- Consistently good service overall in the dozen+ times we’ve now visited the hotel
- They’re really good at personal touches – this is a biggie for me
- Minor, but on our last morning the hotel just didn’t seem to have a handle on breakfast. I waited 20 minutes for croissants to come out of the oven & our eggs & coffee orders were super slow to arrive. This was quickly attended to & an apology offered when we called over a manager.
- Also at breakfast, while at the buffet, I overheard one of the waitresses having a personal spat on the phone with what sounded like her husband. Not cool.
- I found the loos down at the pool (where we regularly have drinks) devoid of all amenities. I reported it to the concierge at the nearby business centre who got right on it
If I ran the place
- Fix the little things – they matter, more so in a 5* hotel.
- I’d get the biggest suite on the top floor, put a recliner at the window & keep the drinks coming…
Signal Hill Terrace – where we’d end most days, mocktail in hand…
Need to know
- There’s an amazing premium chocolate store, Patchi in the hotel (their only store in SA). It’s expensive, but it’s worth it. You have not tasted anything like it… Oh & I just found out that they deliver around SA 😉
Overall, The Hilton Cape Town met & exceeded our expectations in places. There are minor items that need attention but all should be more than doable. Perhaps not for a stay over again, but without a doubt we’ll be back…
The Hilton Cape Town
126 Buitengracht Street, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa
+27 21 4813700