In Jozi Hyde Park Corner is my favourite mall of them all. Never too full, a good selection of stores (though I miss Stuttafords) & great eating options. While many ‘trendy’ restaurants have opened in the mall over the last while, one that could easily be overlooked at your own risk is JB Rivers.
The vibe at JB Rivers in Hyde Park Corner
I first came across JB Rivers back in Cape Town at Cavendish Square so it’s been a favourite of mine for more than a decade. Of course back then as students we’d always order the cheapest meal on the menu – a plate of chips with a glass of (tap) water – to share 🙂
- there’s never a queue for a table. This is really important to me, especially for breakfast. No. Can. Do.
- the menu offers quite a variety, of the largest that I’ve seen – makes it tough to choose 🙂 Oh & there are good healthy options too.
- make sure you try one of their granitas. There are a couple of flavours, so delish!
The Thai prawn salad gives salads a good name.
Now I’m a meat & potatoes (preferably chips & not the oven baked variety!) kind of girl but since I’ve discovered this salad at JB Rivers I’ve been unable to order anything else on the menu on our last 6+ visits! I’ll be honest it needs just 2/3 more prawns in my books but its delish nonetheless. I can eat this salad all day, everyday! They can also do it with calamari or chicken instead if you prefer.
- consistently good service on all of our visits. We always get the same table & waiter, love it!
- the food is always super fresh & well presented
I always have space to sneak in a couple of pieces of hubby’s sushi
- there really is nothing not to like
JB Rivers delivers unfussed fresh & flavourful food time after time, coupled with efficient service & if anything that’s what keeps us going back. When everyone else is to be over-the-top fancy they’ve gone back to basics & they’re getting it right!
If I ran the place
- I’d open more branches – how can there only be two in all of SA?!
Need to know
- the sushi is half price on Tuesday & Sunday evenings 🙂 🙂 🙂
Next time you’re in Hyde Park, give JB Rivers a go!
Store MM51, lower ground floor, Hyde Park Corner
(011) 325 5055 or 073 202 2486