Before we set off for the holidays we made a turn at The Foundry (aka Foundry Cafe) to see what all the fuss was about. Rave reviews were abound so my expectations were already quite high & we were not disappointed in the least.
Parktown North’s new favourite kid on the block opened just months ago in September 2012 & has already made quite a name for itself (read don’t go if you haven’t booked!)
Inside the restaurant – there’s a cool, laid back buzz
They have a separate lunch & dinner menu but are best known for their local & international craft beers (which we didn’t sample but must be good because it looked like everyone was having one!)
- The food was excellent! In particular my salad (see below) which really gives salads a good name (yes, really!). It was super fresh, tasty & really interesting with an unusual combination of flavours. I only wished that they’d taken the skin off the chicken (there was a lot of it).
- The service was very good. Definitely way above average waiters. Sharp & efficient.
Chicken Sofrito salad – chicken thighs, avo (I can never turn down the humble avo!), radish, semi dried tomatoes, olives & roasted red pepper with a mint dressing
My partner in crime opted for the butter chicken bunny – creamy tomato gravy served in a hollowed honey loaf
- There’s a really great vibe, it’s informal with a youngish diverse crowd
- They even have a roastery on site! Check out my previous post on that here.
They add new dishes from time to time, like this week it was the dukkha rubbed springbok loin with apricot bread butter & pudding & pop chicken breast stuffed with spinach & ricotta on a sweetcorn waffle – so be sure to ask about these too.
- It gets quite loud when its full so plan this for your second & not your 1st date 🙂
If it’s good weather definitely grab a table out of the deck.
If I ran the place
- I’d expand so that the likes of me can just drop in & get a table at any time 🙂
Need to know
- They don’t have a website but you can get in touch with them on their Facebook page or Twitter. They respond!
- They get booked out very quickly & for days at a time so be sure to make a reservation
- They’re open till late – 11pm – such a rarity in Jozi!
The pizzas & desserts are next on my list to try!
Parktown Quarter, 21 3rd Avenue, Parktown North, Johannesburg.
011 447 5828