Shimmy Beach Club‘s website opening line reads:
“Whether you arrive by car, helicopter or boat, it will soon become apparent why Shimmy Beach Club is Cape Town’s newest, premier ocean-front dining & lifestyle destination”
And so you’ll understand why this venue was high up on my endless to-do list for our holiday in Cape Town before we even arrived. I’d been hearing more & more about them especially on Twitter. It sounded soooo much like Suada Club, a floating private beach island we visited in Istanbul (honestly one of the best days of that vacation) & so we cleared the better part of a day & got ready to Shimmy….
View from our couch. I didn’t move for quite a few hours…
From their website, Facebook & all the tweets I tried to decipher exactly where on the Waterfront they were & didn’t quite get it. When you enter the Waterfront through the main entrance (passing the Caltex) don’t take the 1st left at the circle to go the mall but the next one kind of heading towards the industrial & not so pretty side of the harbour (who knew this existed). And just so you don’t face the same confusion we did, unless you own a Ferrari or equivalent, don’t expect to be allowed to park on the premises (that’s Cape Town for you!).
Lobster pizza. Yes, really. If you think it looks good, it tasted even better.
We shared a lobster pizza as a starter that made me want to order another one for mains. Seriously, if you eat nothing else, eat this. You can also opt for sushi if you’re ordering at the bar. I was also pleasantly surprised when I requested a drink that wasn’t on the menu (iced coffee) & they whipped it up for me without any hassles. Not to mention it was super delish! Shimmy & I were off to a pretty good start…
The view from inside the restaurant wasn’t bad either.
Two hours on, we headed inside the bustling restaurant to sit down for lunch. The food was very tasty & to our surprise arrived quickly even though they were quite packed.
Seafood salad – absolutely delicious & I would normally steer very clear of any cold salad, more so if it’s seafood.
The calamari was good too but my seafood salad was better!
- Location, location, location – it just doesn’t get much better than this (but I’d like to see someone try!)
- Great tasting food courtesy of celebrated chef Seelan Sundoo (ex Grand Café & La Perla) . No corners have been cut & it tastes like it. The seafood was incredibly fresh.
- They also had a good selection of non-alcoholic drinks (Coke Light gets so boring!)
- I really liked that there was lots to do in one place – bar(s), a restaurant, a pool, tanning (my fav), kiddies entertainment & a DJ in the evenings.
- We had great service out at the bar but in the restaurant over lunch, they just didn’t seem to have it together. I got the feeling that the place was just busier than they could manage. Teething issues perhaps – they weren’t open 2 weeks yet when we visited. I must add that when I chatted with the manager, she sorted us out in seconds though.
After lunch it was time to get my tan on!
I owe all of my current browness (may it last well into Winter) to Shimmy Beach Club. Basically I just lay there for hours while the sweetest waiter kept the drinks coming.
There’s even an under cover kiddies area which I didn’t expect but was quite a hit I’ll have you know…
If I ran the place
- I have no idea where we’d put it but we need a Shimmy Beach Club in Jozi – we have the fancy cars already anyway 🙂
Need to know
- Even if you’re not planning to tan, it’s best to slap on some sun screen
- If you don’t have a restaurant reservation, there is a R100 cover charge per person. Based on what we paid at Suada Club, that’s more than fair.
- They’re closed on Mondays, but open till 2am on every other day, quite enough time to get your Shimmy on…
2000m2 of private beach, infinity pool & illuminated champagne bar – I could go on but go see for yourself! I’m especially keen to to head back in Winter & see what they’re up to then. Rest assured I will be back!
Shimmy Beach Club
South Arm Road V&A Harbour Waterfront, 8002 Cape Town
www.shimmybeachclub.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
021 200 7778