I’m taking you back to Cape Town with this post if I may. No objections? Good! 🙂
We visited a restaurant that’s quite an institution & once we sat down I couldn’t believe it was my 1st time there. Biesmiellah, a totally authentic Cape Malay family run diner type restaurant has been around for some 20 + years.
Biesmiellah is super laid back & informal
For starters we had a selection of savouries like pies, half moons & potato warrah’s. Most come in a choice of chicken, beef or lamb.
- Homely food absolutely bursting with flavour
- They’re fully halaal – rare, even in Cape Town…
We visited Biesmiellah twice while in Cape Town but so good was this prawn curry that I had it both times. Its mild, but so fragrant. The roti is melt-in-your mouth buttery. I could eat it on its own…
The bobotie with sweet yellow rice needed less rice & more bobotie but was very good nonetheless. This meal took me back to Sunday lunches at home growing up in Cape Town.
- Warm, homely service in a totally relaxed & informal setting – don’t expect anything fancy.
- Décor that makes me feel like I’m sitting in my gran’s lounge.
Try as I may I couldn’t possibly get any more food in but we ordered a sago pudding with custard for the table anyway.
If I ran the place
• They don’t take reservations which worried me a bit at 1st but we called ahead both times to make sure there was seating available. So perhaps I wouldn’t change this about them it’s just how laid back the place is.
I marvelled at this table of America tourists who lapped up all the dishes. They were super complimentary & the dishes just seemed to keep coming!
Need to know
- They also have a take away service right next door if you need to eat on the run
2 Upper Wale Street, Cape Town
021 423 0850