I came into the make-up game really late & very gradually. It wasn’t until my mid 20’s that I invested in a full set of professional brushes & only months later did it occur to me that I needed to clean them.
Here’s why you need to:
- There’s continuous build-up of make-up on brushes, the foundation brush being the worst of the lot.
- If you’ve last washed your brushes say for example 6 months ago, know that some of that 6 month old make-up is still stuck in the brush & going back onto your skin. Every. Day.
- Add to above mix dead skin cells, your own natural oils, dust & inevitably a bit of your moisturiser = breeding ground for bacteria & a massive risk of breaking out.
- Each time you dip your dirty/contaminated brush back into you product (blusher, powder whichever one it may be), it deposits germs back into your product too!
- If you’re using the same let’s say for example eye shadow brush day after day you could actually be altering the colour of the actual product palette (due to double dipping) and the colour that it then comes out on your skin
- Good brushes cost & so need good care to extend their life.
So, how should you clean your make-up brushes you ask? All is revealed in this post.
PS if you missed one of my very early blog posts on how I achieve my (natural) day-to-day look, have a peak here 🙂