On Saturday morning I went along to the Nubian Nature launch in Soweto that I told you guys about recently. I was excited to hear (& see) what the product was all about & thought I’d give you some details even though I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet.
Mummy Mthembu-Fawkes and Shereen Makhanye the cofounders of Nubian Nature take the stage
Mummy & Shereen talked us through their own hair journeys & the utter frustration they themselves faced due to lack of products that lead them to them starting Nubian Nature over the last 2 years. Their stories were relatable & very honest. As much as their hair looks gorgeous now, they too admit its been a journey & no product, not even theirs can deliver overnight results.
The entire line up is free of mineral oil, sulphates & parabens – good news for naturals & amazing that this brands is brought to us locally by women who really understand what our challenges are. You can look forward to wholesome ingredients like shea butter (unrefined, certified organic & from Ghana), olive oil, coconut oil (also unrefined & certified organic), jojoba oil & tea tree oil. You can find out more on these ingredients here.
How cute is Mummy & Shereen’s hair?
They have launched 4 products for now and say that we can expect a styling range by the end of the year:
1. Moisturising scalp cleanser (250ml) R79*
2. Cleansing conditioner (500ml) R89* (finally a brand with a bigger size conditioner vs. shampoo)
- can be used in conjunction with above for co washing on its own
- should be left in for around 3-5 minutes
3. Shea lavender moisturising soufflé (250ml) R105*
- can be used as a leave in conditioners (on wet hair) or
- as a daily moisturizer or
- as part of the LOC method or
- for styling (doesn’t have much hold)
4. Hair elixir (100ml) R120*
- described as liquid gold, to be massaged into the hair & scalp
- can be used as a hot oil treatment or a pre poo or
- on areas where growth needs to be restored/stimulated
In addition to those listed already, we can also expect the following home-grown ingredients known for their moisturising properties:
- Mafura butter – (in the soufflé & conditioner)
- Mongongo oil – (in the elixir)
Nubian Nature’s products are suitable for men & women (there was a guy in the audience we actually asked!) as well kids from around the age of 2 except if they have any nut allergies. It terms of scent (of course I needed no invitation to pop the lids an have a whiff!), it smells of peppermint.
*The recommended selling prices are to be confirmed but this is just to give an indication for now.
Nubian Nature have had a bit of a hiccup and will start to ship from the online store on their website around end June. Delivery will be all over SA and rates and lead times are TBC.
I did get my hands on the elixir & soufflé samples which I’m very excited to try so I’ll keep you posted on my review.
Be kind to your hair!