A couple of weeks back I told you guys about Indeed Laboratories & their launch that I attended. They’re launching 4 products in SA to date and the one I have been trialing since launch is Hydraluron. Inspired by injectable hydration and plumping treatments commonly found in Swiss clinics, but (hopefully) cheaper, less painful & more accessible. Since my skin is very, very dry (& worse in Winter) I started using it right away.
There’s been a lot of hype (also why I wanted to use it for a few weeks before I wrote this review), but what exactly is Hydraluron?
With continued use, Hydraluron (a serum) is said to increases your skin’s own hydration level and elasticity (key components to combatting ageing). It’s designed to be used day and night as part of your current skincare routine, after your toner & before (i.e. underneath) your normal moisturiser to give your skin an injection of moisture. Important to note is that it does not replace your moisturiser.
Indeed Lab’s Hydraluron forumula uses a premium grade of hyaluronic acid from the Netherlands which can attract 1,000 times it’s weight in water. This is significant because (lest we forget) that in skin & hair, water is the ultimate moisturiser. This occurs naturally in younger skin (just think about what a baby’s skin feels like to the touch) and we then progressively lose this as we age. The detail of the mechanics of Hydraluron gets rather technical (I’ll spare us both) but in a nutshell the formula leads to increased blood circulation which causes increased skin (cell) turnover, in turn allowing the penetration of the Hydraluron’s tiny particles to refill & smooth out the skin.
- Like I said, Hydraluron doesn’t replace your moisturiser & I wasn’t that keen to add more product to my face & my regime but the product itself is odourless, fragrance free & clear/colourless, a “gel” in terms of consistency & once on, disappears into your skin.
- after about 2-3 weeks of the correct application I noticed that my skin was less dry. It wasn’t anything dramatic, but it was still noticeable. The driest part of my day is usually those 2 minutes between stepping out of the shower to applying moisturiser & I didn’t feel the need to quite as urgently as I usually do
- I also definitely noticed that my skin feels smoother. I initially thought it may just be my bi weekly exfoliator but I remembered that I used that even before I used Hydraluron.
- Hydraluron is on the high end of a retail/pharmacy brand serum in terms of pricing but only a pea sized blob is necessary per application.
At 1st I used the product incorrectly & by that I mean I used it ad hoc, once every 2 days or so when I remembered & needless to say I really didn’t notice a change. About a week in I thought I should read through the packaging & then only understood the correct application daily, twice a day as described above). I also tried mixing some in with my moisturiser instead of using it underneath & I found that worked fine too.
If I ran the brand
- Even though a little goes a long way, I would love a bigger tube but I do understand that’d push the price up :/
Need to know
- Hydraluron is available at Clicks for R399 for 30ml from 25th June 2013.
With a noticeable increase in my skin’s moisture & smoothness (that’s improving with use), I’m hoping my tube keeps me going for a while!
PS for more info on Hydraluron, check out their website here.