- I no longer run from the rain like my life is under threat 🙂 And it’s opened new experiences to me like going camping for 3 and a half weeks!
- It’s cheaper. Note that I’m not saying its’ cheap, but it’s (relatively) cheaper for me. Mostly because I no longer need to visit the salon regularly. Also I now use a mix of products – not just ones stocked exclusively by (Caucasion) salons (read expensive!).
- I no longer have an excuse not to exercise. That does not mean that I actually exercise now 🙂
- I have more time! I used to blow dry & flat-iron my hair twice a week (when I was relaxed). This took an hour and a half each time. Add to that half a day in the salon once every second month for my relaxer, treatment & trim.
- I no longer feel “ruled” by my hair. Now my hair fits into my lifestyle vs. the other way around.
- For the 1st time in a decade & a half I can honestly say my hair is growing. When I was relaxed I never got past a bob length for over a decade. At my one year length check after I BC’ed I was at 18cm, currently at 22 🙂
- Related to above point, my breakage is minimal. I used see so many snapped hair strands on the back of my shirt at the end of each day. Now I literally see none.
- My hair has never been this healthy & strong, mostly because I have never been this empowered (by way of my own knowledge) about my hair.
- I love the hair online hair community. It can get overwhelming but it is great to have platforms where we can talk & share about hair, healthy hair. Which reminds me you need to join the South African Naturals Facebook group if you haven’t already!
- For the 1st time in my life, I am not ashamed of my hair. And that is no small matter.
I don’t mean to paint a rosy picture one bit, it is also work and I do have days that I loathe my fro so watch this space for a follow-up post about what I found tough about my natural journey so far. But overall for me it’s been the right choice (albeit overdue) that I definitely want to celebrate.
Now I just wish I could make it grow – any ideas on a magic pill? 🙂
Be kind to your hair!