Occasionally we make the trek out to Pretoria for a change of scenery and this weekend it was to check out the Lucky Bread Company. This quirky little spot (I’m not sure what else to call it, it’s not really a restaurant, they don’t have a kitchen) grabs your attention as soon as you see it and they didn’t disappoint.
But what makes Lucky Bread Company magic is the joining of forces between two companies at the very top of their game. TriBeCa Coffee Company are roasters with their own shops who also incidentally supply Woolies’ coffee, so yup its good while The Bread Gypsy has won best bakery in the Eat Out DSTV Produce Awards this year.
The Bread Gypsy make artisan (i.e. hand made) breads free of preservatives, additives and conditioners through a fermentation process of at least 18 hours and baked in a wood fired oven – the way it used to be made and should be made they believe.
- I opted for the Lucky Breakfast melt: sour dough toast, pan fried mushrooms, avo, sliced & boiled eggs topped with warm mozzarella cheese. It was really good and I didn’t expect it to be as it’s essentially served cold.
- I asked for the boiled eggs to be changed to scrambled which couldn’t be done (that’s how I uncovered they have no kitchen). My bacon was swapped for avo no problem (& no extra charge – I like!) and the bread (sour dough) was fresh and delicious. Unexpectedly yum.
- Ditto for the coffee (I had a filter coffee – love the presentation with the mini milk bottle) and the freshly squeezed OJ with a dash of ginger – it all hit the spot and I was pretty hungry by the time we arrived.
- The service was faultless – just the right balance of efficient and friendly & our waiter was great (thanks Hector!).
- I love that at the end of everyday, they give all the unused bread away to charity and start baking fresh bread in the wee hours of every morning.
- That there isn’t one in Jozi. Boo!
If I ran the place
- I’d open in Jozi. Obviously…
Need to know
- You’ll find them in Brooklyn Mall (which is a fab mall as far as malls go by the way!) just below the movies and that location enables them to stay open till late everyday except Sundays.
PS we made a day of it and had lunch at another spot in Pretoria that didn’t turn out quite as good…
Lucky Bread Company
+27 12 346 0979
Brooklyn Mall, Brooklyn, Pretoria