Luke Dale-Roberts’ Test Kitchen has been on our to
do eat list for some time now. When we were down in Cape Town over December for an extended vacation I thought it was the perfect opportunity to finally tick this box but they were booked out till February. FEBRUARY! I kid you not. Now I’d heard that they had won the Eat Out Award for the Top Restaurant of 2012, but still, FEBRUARY!!
And so when I was lured down to the Old Biscuit Mill one Saturday afternoon, I thought I was in for a spot of shopping until we turned into the Test Kitchen & I realised I was in for some feasting. Good surprise indeed…
- This is more than fine dining, it’s a gastronomic explosion in your mouth & yet it’s completely unpretentious.
- The food is anything but ordinary. The combinations unusual and so flavourful you just want it to go on & on.
- Each plate is a work of art. You almost don’t want to dig in because you know you’re to ruin the beautiful picture in front of you.
- There service was polished & professional & I loved that the waiter took the time to explain each dish to us as it came to the table.
- I don’t really care for open kitchens but it was cool to see what all the chefs were up to (I counted over 12 when we were there!).
- Seriously there’s nothing not to like!
Here’s what we
Starter: grilled scallops, asaparagus, tofu miso suke, braised scallop dressing, miso on toast, braised shitake, raw shitake
Hubby opted for the tuna ceviche, granny smiths, barbecued carrots, curry dressing & crème fraiche starter (I honestly cant tell you who ordered better!)
We had the same main: pan-fried fish, cauliflower & quail egg ravioli, charred spring onion& fennel salad & roasted fish
For dessert it was assiette of chocolate, grilled white chocolate cinnamon sponge, cararmelia cremeux & guanja parfait
If I ran the place
- I’d open in Jozi, obviously.
Need to know
- Don’t even attempt walking in without a booking. When we were there we heard that they’re booked out for dinner for the next 3 months! Oh & they have just opened bookings for DECEMBER this week….
- The Test Kitchen is open for lunch & dinner only. Oh & reservations are strictly via email.
Here’s hoping that Luke Dale-Roberts’ Christmas collaboration with Woolies will be back this year. I have been dreaming about that gourmet salad (yes salad!) all year…
The Test Kitchen, Unit 104A, Old Biscuit Mill, 375 Albert road, Woodstock, Cape Town
021 447 2337