I realise I say this a lot but I finally made my way down to the new(ish) Father, an espresso bar & roastery down in Braamfontein yesterday. A friend was in town visiting for the day so it was the perfect excuse to find a cosy spot to catch up…
When we step into Father off the buzzing streets of Braamfontein it feels like we’re in a wooden capsule. The craziness of Jozi’s streets just 2 meters away, fades quickly and I feel a bit like Alice, having just arrived in Wonderland, my eyes trying to coerce my brain to process what’s in front of it.
Sweet Dania – I think Father ought to hire her for their next ad 🙂
Perfect latte art
Located in the up-and-coming Juta street hub, if you saw Father walking by you’d have to take a few steps back for sure and maybe even pop your head inside the door just to see it up close for yourself. The space is minimalist and clean with a black and white pallet, aside from the wood. The level of detail is astounding and is carried through to every little element as far as the eye can see, even the black dishcloth the barista was using was in keeping with the theme.
Still marvelling, we order 2 flat whites at the counter and make our way over to one of 3 (wooden) floating tables with benches to match, where we gush some more.
- The coffee is really good. It’s flavourful without being too strong & is served in what looks like tall, white ramekins (yup, like I said, they’re detailed).
- I really like that they’re a coffee shop in the true sense of the word. The menu is simple with just 12 warm coffee drinks available (there’s Lindt hot chocolate by the way!). These guys know what they do well & refreshingly, have stuck to it.
- It immediately caught my attention that there’s a drink on the menu for R100 & no, it’s not kopi luwak. A skhotado is an espresso, UltraMel (yes, as in the custard) and a glass of Red Bull. And nope, I wasn’t brave enough…
- They roast their own beans in-store that’s available for purchase. When I ask about the beans they’re a bit cagey though…
They weren’t roasting when we stopped by but I do so love that burnt toast smell that roasteries have – delicious!
If I ran the place
- Seriously. I wouldn’t dare change anything.
Need to know
- If you’re looking for something to eat you’re not going to find it here, bar a few sweet things, but head 3 doors down the road to Daleahs instead…
- Father Coffee is open from 8:30am to 4pm weekdays and Saturdays 9am to 6pm.
- Oh and the Father guys are not from Cape Town – Dania asked! 🙂
Now do you see what I mean when I say it’s impossible for me to leave the city???
I can’t wait to take my
husband coffee snob over for a skhotado…
73 Juta Street/ Cnr Juta & De Beer Streets, Braamfontein
+27 82 513 4258