Loads of ladies have asked me about exactly what happens at a SKIP/Destiny Magazine Fashion Exchange. It’s really a different night out & to be honest, I didn’t really know & couldn’t imagine the logistics until I recently attended one myself. So here’s the scoop:
- You should bring a minimum of 3 fashionable items that are in good condition & clean (it should be good enough to give to your BFF!)
- On arrival you’re met by gorgeous ladies from SKIP in white dresses (I want one!) who will receive your items and give you a card with a stickers in exchange for every item handed in
- The valuation process is unique to the Skip Fashion Exchange. The core aspect of how garments are categorized lies in the following:
(1) fabric quality of garment
(2) relevance for the consumer market in terms of current trends
(3) brand quality perception.
My items – I got cold feet on my 3rd item, it was a brand new Ben Sherman dress & I decided it was vintage since they don’t make ladies wear anymore 🙂
- Each garment is assessed according to the above key criteria and grouped within three colour categories. In exchange, they provide each lady with their corresponding colour sticker (that goes onto the card) or “assessed value” to shop i.e. to exchange/swap with.
- But first we mingle! The food is pretty amazing at The Maslow, I’ve said that before. If you’re lucky enough to attend a Joburg session at The Maslow, make sure you have Chef Dallas Orr’s salmon. He needs to give me that recipe!
How cute is Eda Rose from ER Collection. Her shoes are beautiful!
- While you’re having drinks and canapes the designer pop up stores will be open for you to shop. PS this bit of the shopping is done in cash (they do also have credit card machines – organised!) and there are some discounts available with some of the designers too.
- We then paused the shopping for a bit and MC Timothy Maurice Webster opened the formalities & introduced Dion Chang, who shared an incredibly interesting talk on transient lifestyles. I’m not going to go into this but it is super interesting (basically it’s about the direction the world is moving) even though I heard him talk about it before at TEDx. Lots to think about!
- A couple of the SKIP ladies share some fabric care tips and lead us across the hallway…
- And then we shop! Or should say swap!
- Just as you have 3 different colour stickers from the items you handed in, the items available for swapping are in 3 different colour categories too. So to keep things fair, I for example had blue stickers so I could shop from the blue section of the floor.
- Clothing is hung in the 3 different colour coded sections and similarly accessories are laid out in the 3 sections too
- There are roomy & comfortable change rooms available (& enough so we didn’t have to queue) – so no need to take any chances.
- I was blown away to see that there was even a tailor on hand on the night to do alterations if needed – that’s a pretty impressive touch.
- If you don’t use up all your stickers (lets say you don’t see anything you like for example), you are welcome to bring them along to the next event which is just as well, because I arrived by myself but had such a fab time with the ladies I met that I quite forgot to shop!
- You also get a 750ml bottle of Skip liquid detergent once you’ve selected your items at check out.
At the end of each SKIP/Destiny Magazine Fashion Exchange all the left over items are donated to charity – LOVE that!
In my opinion this is well worth the R180 cover charge – no question. It’s a fun, different night out. The only thing I would have done differently is to take some girlfriends along.
PS I’d never heard of the band, MuzArt that entertained us all night but they were really good – I’ll be keeping a lookout for them for sure! Oh & I almost forgot, there were also prizes up for grabs, consisting of 10 Stuttafords vouchers. I have no idea how but somehow I got very lucky & won two! Obviously I have spent them already 🙂
You can catch the next one on the 25th of September – booking via Shaakirah Van Rensburg on 011 300 6700 or email@example.com & full details are over here.
Have a fab weekend you guys!