The cosmoceutical side of the beauty industry grabbed my interest a few years back but even then, I didn’t have the inclination to try anything. I’d never heard of Dr Gobac Cosmoceuticals before and so I was super keen to try them out when I was sent these. Turns out they’re a local brand, started by a doctor in Jozi (I got to meet Dr Gobac himself at the Professional Hair & Beauty expo recently too – he’s lovely!).
Now I don’t really have any major skin issues to complain of (well except for my under eye bags) but as I set out to use this range, my forehead was a war zone as I just haven’t been able to keep my hands off it, squeezing & popping & obviously not even washing my hands in between. And when you’re my skin tone,
when if it all heals up, you’re left with nasty scaring for ages. It wasn’t pretty (my hubby nicely pointed out as such on Skype call – men!).
I’ve been using the range for around a month now & here’s what I thought…
- I’m definitely a face wash (vs. creamy cleanser) kind of girl. Psychologically I need to see some soap suds to believe my face is clean. This face wash gave me that without making my skin feel tight once it dried (could be the glycerine) – huge bonus points!
- initially I missed having a toner in this brand’s line up but the face wash has a “toning action” and I didn’t feel like a needed a toner once I got used to the regime a few days in
- I liked the container & the pump head was easy & practical in the shower with wet hands.
- this unassuming day and night cream in one looks a bit like aqueous cream in terms of texture and just restored my skin & made it feel healthy. According to Dr Gobac, this is because it “activates all functions in the skin, kick starting the skin’s natural repair and regeneration processes”.
- like the face wash, the packaging is great and works through a pump head. This means the cream doesn’t ever come into contact with dirty fingers/the air to become contaminated or lose its efficacy in any way (no, my OCD tendencies haven’t diminished!).
- More of a wish than a loathe per se, but it’d be great if this Starter Cream came in an option of a slightly larger quantity. With a twice daily application, of the 4 products I was testing, I finished this one 1st in around 3 weeks…
Facial Sunscreen SPF 25 UVA/UVA
- I absolutely adore that its broad spectrum UVA AND UVB so we’re covered against ageing and burning. Seriously it’s 2103 ladies – we shouldn’t accept anything less.
- It works! When I don’t wear sunscreen and even if I’m just in my car driving , I can literally feel the sun coming in through the window and burning my skin. Not the case when I was wearing this!
- Even with a decent SPF of 25, you don’t have that ghost-like/ashy look many sunscreens give.
- The formulation is anti free radicals. Without getting into the debate itself, there are those who believe that free radicals (contained in many sun screens) enable carcinogenic cells. I don’t know what to think on this one to be honest, so I’m just glad Dr Gobac skipped it in his formulation altogether.
- I learned to manage my time around it as time went on, but you need to wait 20 minutes before applying your make up over this facial sunscreen
- This product goes on a little too thick for my liking making it a bit tough to spread.
- This stuff works! I applied it twice daily after cleansing and my forehead now looks so great I wish I had taken before & after pics to show you as part of this post. Even my scaring (which I’m inevitably left with for weeks on end as punishment for prodding my skin) has completely cleared. Obviously I wasn’t expecting it to turn out this well or I’d have documented it for sure!
- the magic ingredient here is dragon’s blood (nope, not literally!) It’s derived from a tree in the Amazon & kills the bacteria that causes infections & also has exceptional healing properties.
- This cream has a super runny consistency so squeeze very, very lightly so that you don’t waste (I made this mistake on my 1st three or four applications).
When I chatted to Dr Gobac and his team about the result that I had particularly around the issue of pimples and scaring the feedback I got was that it not necessarily one product leading to it, but the entire system/regime working together to deliver this.
Need to know
- The pricing is as follows:
Face wash – R219 (100ml)
Starter Cream – R419 (50ml)
Facial Sunscreen SPF 25 UVA/UVB – R340 (40ml)
Spot TX – R419 (15ml)
- Dr Gobac Cosmoceuticals is available at selected salons, spas, Placecol outlets and Edgars stores.
If I ran the brand
- The one thing I did miss in this line up is a scrub. My skin and especially my T area can get quite congested so I’d like to see a weekly scrub in this line up as well.
There are various other line extensions on this brand which I hope to be trying out over the next few months. Given how this has gone, it should be good! Lastly I love, love, love that this is a local product developed for our climate and range and skin tones etc. Proudly South African indeed!
Dr Gobac Cosmoceuticals contact details:
071 600 1813