Literally just before the news hit that the five-star Westcliff would be no more, we headed over to their Belle Terrasse restaurant on a date night and a bit of a celebration of the hubby’s new job. The Westcliff has to go down as one of the most iconic hotels in Jozi and in SA. I think of it much like Cape Town’s Nellie (the Mount Nelson). Steeped in history, grace and elegance there really isn’t any pretence.
I’d been to The Westcliff plenty for weddings, drinks, high tea at the Polo Bar (I always recommended it highly) or picturesque lunches overlooking the infinity pool and that view…
PS we arrived for dinner around sunset and it was so breath-taking (and quick) that I quite forgot to take any pics, so I’ve swiped these off the net lest we forget the grandeur that was The Westcliff. Unplanned, it turned out to be an evening of seafood and every. Single. Dish. Was pretty amazing…
- As amazing a venue as this is (& I really can’t do it justice enough), I’ll try to stay focused on the food and nothing we had disappointed & I’m fussy so that’s no small feat. The lobster in particular (in both of our mains) was perfectly cooked & well complimented.
- Location, location, location! Yes its secondary but no place in Jozi has views quite like this. I love that The Westcliff is tucked away in an old neighbourhood (and not, say in Sandton CBD for example) – just adds to the charm.
- The service at Belle Terrasse (and all of the Westcliff really) in all the times that I’ve been there is exactly what you’d expect of this calibre of establishment.
Baked Prawns in Kataifi with Umami Dressing & Spring Greens
Marinated Sweet Water Crawfish Tails with Crème Fraiche Sauce
And then for mains…
Lobster Ravioli in Rich Lobster Bisque and Grilled Lobster tail
Note: this was perfection on a plate – my favourite seafood and my favourite carb in a single dish = heaven. And the bisque was rich but hardly overbearing…
Lobster Tail, Warm Horseradish Potatoes, Red Minjo
7 types of Mayan Gold, Caraib Baked Mousse Tart, Pan Fried Ivory Chocolate, Abinoa Sorbet
Trio of (Crème) Bruluee
PS I never order anything else when there’s crème brulee on the dessert menu…
If I ran the place
- Dinner at Belle Terrasse really should come as part of a mandatory stay over package. We were way too full to move and sat for an hour after the meal just chatting & waiting for the blood to drain back up to our brains 🙂
Need to know
- As mentioned, from around the middle of this year sadly, The Westcliff is no more. Currently closed for an overhaul, it will reopen mid 2014 as the Four Seasons Hotel Westcliff Johannesburg (I’m glad they kept “Westcliff” in the name) and looking at the site, things sure do look promising. Every time I’m driving on the M1 and catch a glimpse of the The Westcliff I feel a tad sad, like it’s the end of an era.
Obviously I will be there when the doors open and promise to keep you posted.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Four Seasons Hotel Westcliff Johannesburg
67 Jan Smuts Avenue