I loved your responses my previous frugal post so you’ve inspired me to start a series of them. First up, here are some ideas to save cash on the beauty front…
- Use less product. Generally the more premium the product the less you have to use (they’re more concentrated).
- Stock up! When your favourites go on sale buy in bulk. I recently got 9 bottles of TRESemme on sale on 3 for R99 & I should have bought more.
- Know where to splurge. Foundation for example is way more important than say a face wash.
- Squeeze the last bit out. Cut open that tube of cream etc. before you toss it out. You’d be surprised what’s left in there. I usually get 3/4 more applications when I cut the tube open.
- Try before you buy. Ask for samples in-store before you purchase. Those perfectly made up ladies behind the counter can be intimidating but don’t be shy. Brands make samples for consumers for this exact reason. Kiehls as an example do this really well.
- Repurpose. If something isn’t working either return it after a new applications (you may get an exchange & not cash back) or re purpose it, like I did here.
- When applying foundation use your fingers instead of a wedge, sponge or brush that will just soak up your expensive product.
- Choose a moisturiser and a foundation with a good SPF built in. This will save time & money.
- Get good tools. I used to buy a tweezer every couple of months. When I invested in a good one like Tweezerman a few years ago, I haven’t had to buy another one since.
- When it comes to conditioner towel dry your hair in the shower a bit 1st before applying conditioner. Soaking wet hair will dilute the efficacy of the conditioner
- If your hair is dry like mine, mix some oils into your conditioner like coconut oil to give it an extra kick
- If your favourite nail polish has gone gooey or thick making it tough to paint, don’t throw it out yet but rather buy a thinning kit like this Essie one.
Beauty tips aside, also see this post for other easy tips on how to live frugally.
Any beauty tips you can share? I’m all for saving money!