I enjoyed a scrumptious meal at Central One recently as part of a Zomato Foodie meet up. It was the 1st time I’d been back at the restaurant in around 3 years and overall I was pleasantly surprised.
We sat down to a 5 course tasting menu extracted from their standard al acarte menu. Unexpected twists included cured salmon with “40 second beetroot sponge” (egg white, sugar, beetroot powder, loaded in a nitrogen siphon gun and microwaved for 40 seconds) – such an interesting texture on your tongue it’s hard to describe.
- You’re probably going to think I’m starring off in the wrong order but I’m a HUGE fan of crème brullee and it’s always my choice of dessert if its on the menu. I usually like mine quite traditional. However their take on it with vanilla mascarpone, salted caramel, chocolate ice cream & espresso foam is just out of this world. Not overly sweet & beautifully presented, you’ll want to lick the plate. Promise.
- The rolled, filleted baby chicken was one of my highlights. It’s cooked for 3.5 hours & was super succulent. The shimenji mushrooms on the side worked very well. I was very surprised to learn that all the chicken is halaal (& imported from Argentina – I would not have guessed.)
- I like the open kitchen as well – love seeing the chefs rush around to get a gorgeous plate out to me.
- The cauliflower, truffle oil & asparagus risotto was perfectly cooked & creamy but a tad under-flavoured for me. This dish is usually served topped with salmon which I think would round it off perfectly.
What I really liked about the restaurant is that you tend to forget you’re in a hotel once you get into your meal at Central One. It’s laid back and I didn’t find it at all pretentious.
If I ran the place
- Really cant think of anything I’d do differently for now…
Need to know
- There’s also a bar/lounge in Central one, on the same floor and in the same place if you wanted to have a pre dinner drink
- Lookout for the newly launched Chef’s Special – a 2 course meal for R190 or a 3 course meal for R250…
- And if you flash your Gautrain card you’ll get a further 10% off.
Central One Restaurant & Bar – Radisson Blu Gautrain Hotel, Corner of Rivonia Road and West Street, Sandown, Johannesburg, South Africa