It’s not at all my usual spot, but when a girlfriend suggested a catch up a while ago, doing it over pedi’s seemed like a stroke of genius. She suggested SOHO salon in Sandton City where she was a regular & I needed no convincing. I’d known about SOHO for a while – I was actually bummed when I found out that they were taking the place of my then favourite hair salon, Bellamore (back when I wore my hair relaxed).
And let just say upfront, it’s a premium experience from start to end. I’ve heard that the likes of Oluchi, John Legend & R Kelly have been seen popping in so yes, it’s fancy!
I had the signature pedi (R285). They do have a more basic one (classic pedi – R230) but that didn’t include a scrub and to me the scrub is a bit I really enjoy so I decided to upgrade.
- The oversized reclining leather couches – if they went any further back and if my girlfriend wasn’t there I’d be asleep!
- Someone came by to take out coffee orders and the next thing, two piping cups of Vida arrived. Vida!
- Part of the signature pedi is a soak in what they call their “enchanting crystals” that’s quite different to any pedi I’ve had before. Hard to describe but imagine your feet in a bowl of crushed jelly – felt great.
- They use a sealed & cleaned seat of tools on each customer (they open the pack in front of you) so that’s a really nice touch if you have OCD tendencies.
- I also had to say their painting was pretty good & I’m a perfectionist so few places actually paint really well in my books.
- They have free wi-fi – yup this is my kinda place!
- I only found this out later, but they have parking bays reserved especially for customers at the entrance they’re located. Just call them when you’re there & they’ll open up (remove the beacons) for you to pull in. Pretty suave given the mess that the parking situation has become.
- I couldn’t really afford to make this regular place but given all the extras I’ve listed I would if I could…
Need to know
- Nails is definitely their thing (the menu is extensive!) but they do also do waxing, threading & massages. There’s even a menu for kids and men too – check out the full list of services.
- SOHO have recently stopped taking appointments and work fully on walk-ins now. Very interesting – I wonder how this is working for them.
- I have listed the address at the end of the post but basically they’re at the entrance across from CNA on the ground floor
If I ran the place
- I think SOHO really just needs to keep doing what they’re doing and another branch wouldn’t hurt – I’m voting Hyde Park…
I managed to leave the salon without ruining the paint job (it’s really hard for me, I’m clumsy) and got a full 2 and a half weeks wear from the OPI colour I chose. I like that they’re bold and not afraid to do things (like staying open till midnight!) differently. Worth the splurge!
SOHO NYC Salon
Shop L31C, Entrance 6 Sandton City Shopping Centre
011 784 0370 / 011 784 0371