Rain Urban Boutique Spa was almost a year old before I heard about them – Jozi’s you’ve been holding out on me! And when news about Rain did get to me I struggled for weeks to get there what with all the travelling and blogger events. But one day towards the end of last year the stars lined up and Rain was the venue for a launch I was invited to.
Let’s just sat that I went back three times in as many weeks last months & ja, the rest is history!
- You treatments are “customisable”. What this means is that for example with a massage, you get to choose:
– the length of your massage (I always go for the max i.e. 90 minutes of bliss!)
– your music ( I like “nature sounds”)
– and the best part: you can choose how you want to split your treatment time (I like 60 minutes back & neck and 30 minutes of whatever else is aching)
- There are little details that won me over from the get-go, like the tea and towel on arrival, a foot rinse (every massage starts with one!), a bite-size snack after the treatment – I’m a sucker for personal touches.
- They understand when I say I want my massage pressure firm. Yup I like it hard, so hard I’m almost asking them to stop!
- The space is very tranquil – I wouldn’t have believed that colour could have that effect but it does. It also helps that they’re not in the mall per se (remember I mentioned that being an issue at this spa). Zero noise = bliss.
- They offer monthly/annual memberships for R375/R350 respectively that buys you a 60 minute customised massage (normally R475) and a some other benefits (which I think they need to give a bit more detail on). You pay monthly & not upfront which is great (PS I was once conned out of R5000 in a pay upfront deal by a spa which shut down – long story!)
- They use the Legacy Lifestyle loyalty card which is better than not having one at all though I probably won’t use too many of the other retailers/vendors listed
- If I’m pressed to say something I didn’t like its the slippers only because I think they’re shared/recycled (though I do use them). Yes, I’m OCD like that.
Need to know
- They are open to walk-ins if they have a gap but I recommend booking. They’re a smallish spa with 2 or 3 (can’t remember) treatment rooms.
- They’re closed on Mondays & Sundays are but open till late on Fridays and Saturdays (8pm!)
- In terms of location they’re on the new section of the mall above Motherland Coffee, Nike etc. You could easily miss them. Definitely best to park in the new section as well.
If I ran the brand
- I’d probably have the staff giving me mani’s/pedi’s 24/7!
I have to mention that the service has really been outstanding and consistently so. When I felt my blood sugar running low one day I felt so bad for asking but they got me a cup of coffee with no hassle at all. Not to mention the day I walked out of the spa and halfway to my car bumped my toe and they repainted for my without an issue (I have a special knack for ruining pedi’s before they dry).
Rain Urban Boutique Spa, strictly a ladies only spa won’t replace my usual day spa experience as sometimes I still want the experience of spa facilities like a shower, sauna and chilling out in a hammock. Instead it’s a great option for a bit of relaxation on the go in a super convenient spot.
Rain Urban Boutique Spa
Loft Office #6, First Floor, The Zone Phase II, Rosebank, Sandton
+27 (0) 11 447 4534