If you’re after a cosy Italian place that’s authentic, Cornuti’s it. They’re on Oxford Road, Illovo but tucked away from the chaos of the street…
It’s a cosy place that opens up onto the pavement but we were there on a chilly night so we huddled inside (PS sorry about these pics – you guessed it – low lighting)…
- We felt a bit like difficult customers asking to be moved from our initial table (there was a draught) and my friend sent her food back (something was missing from it, I cant remember what – she goes there often & orders the same thing) and they took it all in their stride – I liked that!
- I loved the ambience that night it was a full house & it’s child friendly too…
- It’s a pretty comprehensive menu & they’ve kept it authentically Italian (I was at an Italian place recently that did sushi!).
- There was no risotto (one of my favourites) on the menu but I asked about it & it can be done (though I didn’t end up trying it after all)
- If I have to say one thing I didn’t enjoy it’s that I heard the host/manager reprimanding a waiter. I have no idea what happened but regardless I couldn’t but feel bad for her and I just don’t think this is something a customer should ever hear/see 🙁
Need to know
- They do run specials from time to time so be sure to ask.
- As mentioned the place is tiny – so I don’t recommend you risk showing up without a booking…
If I ran the place
- I’m tempted to say I’d make the place a bit bigger but I think it wouldn’t be quite as charming.
I enjoyed the food, though nothing blew me away. To be fair, I should add that I’ve recently been to Italy or I may have loved Cornuti that much more…
Illovo Square, Shop 2, Piazza Level, Illovo, Sandton
011 268 6684