Remember I told you guys a couple of months ago about a new salon opening that specialises in afro textured hair? You guessed it, Candi & Co is just a few weeks old & on Monday they closed shop & hosted the Hair Gurus for the afternoon.
Yeah we’re totally spoilt!
So Candi & Co is on the upper level of Randburg Mall (yes really, Randburg has a mall, like a proper one!) – in fact you can park just meters from the door as they’re very close the entrance if you want to be in & out quickly. As much as I was excited (I’d heard good things) I was definitely nervous too. I mean, let’s not forget how my last salon visit turned out. While I was hoping for the best, I honestly didn’t know what I was in for so I stuck to my theory of hoping for the best & preparing for the worst & I prepooed with coconut oil (EVCO) the night before and even arrived at the salon with a few of my own products just in case!
I decided to play it safe and avoid any heat straightening, colour, cutting or even trimming on this round. My nerves honestly would not be able to deal. I went for the flexi rod & style (R350).
So how did it go? Really well! Here’s what I thought…
- The Candi & Co team definitely care about hair health and I had a detailed consultation before any work started on my hair about my regime, lifestyle, hair goals, home care products & concerns as well as an examination of my hair & scalp. I liked this a lot.
- The place is clean! Am overstating the obvious here? Maybe but I’m OCD and this is a large part of the reason I’ve hardly been to a salon in 2 years.
- I really loved the way my hair turned out (scroll down for pics). It was something different for me vs. my usual wash & air dry but I was still completely comfortable with it
- The salon uses (i.e. at the basins) and stocks only professional brands (Redken, Mizani, Ladine, Pureology, Three Sisters etc.) so you can rest assured its quality stuff and your hair’s in for an extra treat vs. the retail products we mostly use at home
- The pricing seems fair & they also have a tiered loyalty progam that’s worth looking into
- While their main business is hair you can literally get pampered from head to toe while you’re there. They do nails too and all while you’re having your hair done so no extra time required
- The only thing I didn’t like (but nipped in the bud) was that a fine toothed comb was initially used on my hair while setting it. I flagged my concern and they immediately understood & swapped it for a wider toothed one.
I was shampooed (twice because of the EVCO I think) & conditioned with the Pureology range – my 1st time using their products. I’m not 100% sure which variant it was but I liked the scalp tingle of the conditioner when it sat on for about 10 minutes. It reminded me a lot of the Paul Mitchell tea tree line I used to use when I was relaxed.
This doesn’t happen often (well, in my life) but it was indeed selfie time!
Of course the photo shoot continued at home…
The Hair Gurus – all Candi Coated!
Huge thanks to the entire team who hosted us for the day, especially, Thabo, Brian & Felicia who worked on my hair, hands and feet – so appreciate it!
So no need for nerves or any of my own products I had brought along on the day! 🙂 I did notice on my consultation card that my hair/curls had been classified as 4B which isn’t how I see it but I’m really not too stuck on curl types/patterns at all…
Natural hair/afro’s (of my kind) aside, they can also do weaves, extensions, relaxers, dreadlocks and corn rows (no braiding or they’ll have to stay open all day & night!) so there’s plenty on the menu.
I’ll definitely be back for this look again & soon and maybe even some (much-needed) shaping.
PS look out for an upcoming post soon where I’ll be sharing some top tips from stylists Brian & Thabo while I was in their chair about how to achieve this look at home!
Thanks Candi & Co for the spoils!
Candi & Co
Randburg Square Mall, Shop 552 (next to Markhams), Corner of Oak Ave and Sentrum Road, Randburg
011 781 36 11