I’ve had a few questions around the look in this pic that my hubby took of me completely unaware while I was blogging one night.
Now I hate sharing “how I achieved this look” kind of posts because I think it’s too short sighted. What I do on one day doesn’t capture my regime & I believe how you treat or handle your hair on an going basis is more important than any hair products/tools.
That said, I planned to gym on this day & here’s what I did…
- I woke up having slept in a silk scarf so my fro was in a weird shape & lacking curl definition
- At the basin, in front of the mirror, I used my daily spritz (water, olive oil & argon oil in a spray bottle) to get my hair damp
- I went on to pre poo, adding more olive oil with my hands concentrating on the ends.
- I slicked the hair back with a brush into a teeny tiny high pony tail (more like a small puff) high at the top of my head. The olive oil meant that all the bits that usually stick up/aren’t long enough stay down without any clips & pins etc. actually do stay put.
- After my workout, I rinse my hair with cold water in the shower & squeeze out the excess water with my hands as much as I can.
- I don’t shampoo, but rather cowashed using a pre mix of about 125ml ORS (Organic Root Stimulator)’s hair mayonnaise and TRESemme naturals conditioner (a ratio of about 1 to 5 respectively)
- I use a wide toothed combed and comb through the length of my hair. If your hair is quite sticky like mine limit the pain/breakage by combing half the length first (midway to the ends) and when that’s untangled then take the comb through all the way from the top.
- Cold rinse (ouch I know).
- I air dry my hair and that’s it. No styling products.
One of the things I have come to learn in “trying to create the perfect curls” is that if my hair is moisturised, it will curl so I’m pretty much over curling creams etc. If I’m doing the basics right I just don’t need it.
I do this whenever I gym, so about twice a week currently. Once a week I’ will shampoo between steps 5 & 6 as well & not necessarily with a sulphate free shampoo either depending on how my hair feels.
Hope this helps guys.
Be kind to your hair!